A night at the races

Well, Chris and I ventured down to Hoosier Park in Anderson the other night. He had never been to see the big thoroughbreds run, so after looking at the racing schedule for that track, we decided to give it a chance. Heather was unable to be there since she went to Colorado (sorry, never saw Jeff :-(, but I didnt look too hard cause I was too busy picking horses or showing Chris what to watch for). I think he actually enjoyed himself. We both put in some bets. Heck, the first race we picked one...that actually won! Of course, we didn't bet on that one. Later I did manage to place a bet and pick a winner. But, I did eventually end up $6 in the hole, as did Chris, so we called it quits. It was a goo
d time. Some surprises there too. For instance, a horse spooked loading into the gate, the jockey bailed, and the horse took off running the wrong way around the the track all the way to the barns. Needless to say, he was scratched. Later on, a lady jockey got unseated at the gate and attempted to pull up her mount and reseat herself, but she gave up and galloped along the outer rail, both feet wrapped around the horse, goggles flapping around. She did not look too comfortable, and needless to say, they got last. Also saw some hyper activity in the paddock. It happened to be very windy, and the horses were more vamped than usual. Some reared, jumped, fought, threw off saddles on occassion, and so forth. It was interesting. Chris borrowed his mom's Cannon EOS SLR camera, and we got some photos. Had we managed to secure the flash onto the body of the camera properly, they might have turned out better. It was the first time we had used it, and even the track photographer
seemed stumped by the flash (yeah...it was fairly old). He just chuckled at us as we played stupid. It was enjoyable. The pictures arent great, but good enough I can put on here so you can see some of the action that we saw. I think when we go down to visit Heather at Indiana Downs, we will do better, and maybe get in some day racing. We are even humoring the idea of going down to Churchill Downs for a day this spring (not for the Kentucky Derby...that is in my wildest dreams). I am just glad that we both had a good time. Wish the track was closer. I would go a lot more often. And I would also leave the cash at homeLet's see. What else is going on in this world of mine. I have an appointment to schedule my classes at Ivy Tech here soon. Yeah, we shall see how that goes since they screwed up my financial aid. T
alk about a bunch of inept people who are untrustworthy. They are so frustrating. Even the people in admissions dislike the financial aid people. And with good reason! All I want to do is get free money so that I can go to school part time and pick up an associates! How hard is that! Grrrr. I thought it was a fairly simple concept myself. My bad.So I think I am going to end on that note! Because if I get on a spiel about work today, it would not be pleasant in the least. So until next time, stay out of trouble...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home